Monday, June 2, 2008

managing all the passwords

I have struggled in the past with managing my passwords for so many things. I have passwords for Banking, work photocopying, Ebay, accessing my phone accounts, all the plethora of online presences such as Flickr, Delicious, New Scientist, ABC, ASX etc etc etc
What do people do?
I try to have one standard one which I use most of the time and put some in my mobile phone as fake phone numbers. The one thing I have found works best for me is this........
I typed up a summary sheet of user names and passwords for things I need to remember. Rather than print and put in bag or purse.... I emailed to my online web address and files away under a folder called "important stuff". When I was overseas and had my bag stolen in Vancouver.....I logged online and had a heap of useful numbers etc. I even stored a scan of my passbook on there so I had everything at the ready.
But the big question is......is it secure to use online web interface in such a manner? It has saved me so many times and all I ever need to do is log on and it as all there.
Last count I had about 30 important links and passwords which i can not possibly remember at once.....

What do others do??

Monty the Mutt AKA Tess

2 comments:

Jim Bost said...

Hi Tess,

Funny - just what I was thinking too!.

Starting up all these acounts with passwords - where do you keep them safe yet memorable>

The mobile idea was one I had too -I wonder how many would be hackers would see that as common practice.

Be interested to find out ideas...

Michael said...

Jim, Tess and all - I have just 2 logins that I use everywhere so I know if it's not login #1 then it's the other one. It sounds like it may be too late for you Tess but I always advise people to do the same - just use one or two logins for everything.