Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Social software - Wikis

I think social software like wikis are going to revolutionise group learning. I love it!!! smile

It makes it so easy to build material together. I've used wikis to collaboratively write papers and to develop the content for an online roleplay. As the project leader, I was able to put up the structure and people could go in and add their bit and then we could all edit .
We could quickly see the whole project emerging - so exciting.

Teachers could put up questions or areas for research and the group could record what they have found.
You could have debates - building the pros and cons.
Process writing would benefit - students could keep a record of their drafts as they work towards their final draft.
You could build F&As
Great for journaling.

Of course, there could be problems with people changing others work and there being resentment - perhaps there would need to be some norms established. I've not experienced that yet as the groups I've worked with so far have accepted that their contributions could be altered.
Well, there's a few ideas.

Ann

1 comment:

Craig M said...

Well said Ann - I agree that Wikis are a really exciting tool for any learning scenario. Once some ground rules are set and given that the participants exercise have some degree of maturity, they would provide a great collaborative environment. I can't wait to incorporate wikis into my courses!